Sunday, December 11, 2011

A smell is in the air.

No it's not THAT smell!

The wife and our tenant (maybe more on who he is some other time) went and got our Christmas Tree from the Christmas Tree farm.  I insist on getting trees that are growing in the ground at the time we cut them down.  This is a left over from when I used to work on a Christmas tree farm so I suppose you can say I've become a snob about it.

bite me, it works for me :)

So after doing the normal things that have to happen when the tree comes home, it's up and being decorated right now and the smell of pine is permeating the house and it smells good.  Now I can fart up a storm for the next few days and not worried about the wife complaining that she "..can't go into any room in this house with out it smelling like ass!".

I've learned awhile ago about the struggles of putting up a Christmas Tree and making it seem straight.  I've had books under one side of the stand among some of the things utilized to make the tree seem straight.   Then I found  THE STAND!

Yes it was expensive but oh how it has saved the headache.  This year it took a little trunk manipulation due to a very crooked trunk on the tree, but with in 15 minutes, the tree was in the stand and straight.  The beauty of this is that I wasn't down on my knees with needles getting in my back and that one needle trying to give me a colonoscopy!

It wasn't this particular one I bought http://amzn.to/uuAeP3 but it's the same concept and I'll never go back!

I also made an automatic watering system this year with some tubing, a bucket and some use of science!
I put one end of the hose in a full bucket filled to about the same level as the top of the tree stand then slowly submerged the rest of the tubing in the bucket so all the air was out of the tube.

Once the tube was in the bucket and submerged with no air in it, I partially filled the tree stand with water and put the tree in it.   I put my finger over the end of the tubing in the bucket so no air would get in and quickly put the end of the tube into the water in the tree stand and let my finger go.  Since water will find it's own level between the two containers, the tree stand filled up to meet the level of the water in the bucket.  That turned out to be about 3/4 of an inch from the top of the tree stand.  I marked that spot so when I go back to check the water level in the bucket I know how much to fill it up to with out over filling it and having water spill out of the tree stand.

Next I'm going to wrap a box with wrapping paper and put it over the bucket with water so it just looks like a present :)


No comments:

Post a Comment